Monday, May 14, 2012

What I saw



I thought it would help shed some light to let you know how I was able to sketch different views during the 911 arraignment. Above are rough sketches from my sketchbook showing two large monitors with split screen displays. Thanks to some
pre-travel negotiations and the help of several people I was given access to sketch from
these monitors. Mo, the senior video technician at Gtmo, set it up so I saw exactly what I needed to see: detainees, judge, prosecution, defense, all from the perspective I'd been dreaming about, but could not access physically. This allowed me to capture many
crucial events from the front rather than the back. My appreciation goes out to Todd Breasselle and Michelle Shephard for helping to initiate and orchestrate the 'room with a view'.
And here is a photo I took of the WTC as it looked on Saturday May 12th,'12. It is now the tallest building in NYC again, nearly completed. The solar flare shows two blue lights coming out of it, much like the projections we see each year that symbolize the original towers. A fitting coincidence.

No comments: